Monday, December 1, 2008

Kayaking and Key Deer

If someone ever tells me we're going on a 6 mile kayak trip again remind me to check the weather first! Pat, Debbie, Eddy, Abby and I all went up to the Key Deer Island for a kayak trip out to see the stingrays and hopefully to see some of the endangered Key Deer. The trip out was against the current but not too difficult, but coming back the wind picked up to about 25mph and blew right at us! The waves were coming in over the sides of my boat, Pat and Debbie had to put Abby into their 2 person kayak, and it took everything I had just to get back. Everytime you would stop paddling to rest the wind blew you back and you lost all the ground you just covered. My back hurt so bad by the time I finally got back. But, on the flip side, we did catch fish, saw some stingrays, got to investigate a mangrove swamp up close and personal, and got great exercise. It was an experience, and I would definately do it again, although I think I'd take a couple of pain pills before I started! Oh, and we did get to see the Key Deer!

No comments:

Post a Comment